Wednesday, August 18, 2010

"G" Monogram

I saw this idea on a vinyl wall decor website a few months ago and knew that I had to make one myself. Big Lots had 12x12x1 inch canvases for $5, so I snatched one up and created this:


I had some paint left over from the living room and painted the canvas. Then I used Sure Cuts a Lot to cut the image out in vinyl on my Cricut and then mod podged over it so it wouldn't come off the canvas. Total project cost: $6. I'm totally diggin' this thrifty decor stuff! I can't stop searching for ways to save money by doing projects myself instead of spending top dollar at a store to get the same thing. This type of monogram cost $40 on one website. Now I'm making one for my in-laws to hang on their garage. I'll post pictures when it's done.

4 comments:

  1. Look at all this blogging! I don't know where to begin with my commenting.

    This looks so cute! I hadn't even thought of doing vinyl on canvas. I have some canvases (which I think I bought at Big Lots too about a million years ago) and might have to dig them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anytime you want to experiment let me know! Using canvas makes the design less "permanent", as in, you can paint your walls and not worry about having to take down the vinyl design and completely redoing it later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love that! It sounds so complicated though - how did you cut it out of the vinyl? Did you have a pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Callie,

    I used Snag-it software (you can get a free 60 day trial from download.com) to copy the image from a vinyl decor website onto my computer. The Sure Cuts a Lot software for my Cricut cutter converted the image into a format that my Cricut could recognize and cut out. That may all sound like Greek if you're not familiar with Cricut machines. If you're into scrapbooking or card-making, they're wonderful!

    ReplyDelete