Sunday, August 15, 2010

First Day of School

Sky started Kindergarten last week. He spent the night last Sunday and then my mother in law dropped him off at our house in the wee hours of the morning Tues-Thurs so he could sleep while she worked and he could get used to waking up in time to get ready for school. Sky was awake when I got up every day and kept asking when school was going to start. He even told me he was "gonna bust some butt" at school on his first day. I advised him that he would probably get into trouble saying that and that he wouldn't make friends that way. That kid says some funny stuff!



It made me sad to think about his mom missing out on this milestone in her son's life. I hope to give her pictures of his first day sometime in the future so that she can connect to the moment with Sky, but I don't want to hurt her feelings that I got to be there with him and she didn't.

I've really enjoyed getting to be a part of Sky's life these past few months. He has grown so much. He never used to give hugs or show affection, but now he hugs me goodbye and even told me that he "loves me with his whole heart". What girl's heart wouldn't melt to hear those words? I just want to give him lots of good memories to keep in his heart for the rest of his life. I want to be Jesus to him and live a godly example before him. He might not always live so close by and he certainly won't stay so young for long, so I just want to take full advantage of the time I have with him to impact his life. It seems like just yesterday that I was holding him and meeting my sister-in-law for the first time. He was a gorgeous baby. Dark skin, dark eyes, dark hair, and pudgy little cheeks! Now he's a little boy with so much potential! I can't wait too see what the future holds for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment