Saturday, July 17, 2010

Salsa Anyone?

After months of tilling, planting, weeding, growing tired of weeding and letting weeds take over, I finally harvested a few extra tomatoes from my garden to make homemade salsa. I was planning on using homegrown bell peppers, too, but it appears that my plants never flowered and there will be no peppers. But, never fear! Kroger came through for me :) My mom happened to be over when I decided to begin this endeavor and she helped me with the icky job of peeling the tomatoes. I didn't use a recipe, but chose to experiment. Alex and I love the garlic and lime salsa at Wal-Mart, so that was my inspiration. My ingredients included:

1 handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced with my Pampered Chef garlic press - LOVE this thing!
3/4 white onion
3 tomatoes
1/2 green bell pepper
the tip of a cayenne pepper, chopped finely (I only added a smidge because these suckers are HOT! I didn't have any japelenos.
1 1/2 tsp salt
juice from 1 lime

I used my Pampered Chef salad shears to chop up the veggies into small pieces and not big chunks. I hate chunky salsa, but didn't want puree either. These shears were great! I don't know when I'll ever use them except for salsa, so I'll have to think of some other food project for them.

In the end, there was too much cilantro and both Alex and I didn't want to eat the salsa. After letting the flavors blend overnight, Alex proclaimed that the taste had gotten worse! Well, so much for that endeavor. I'll stick with store bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment