Sunday, July 4, 2010

Blueberry Bliss

So, after another long case of writer's block (or maybe I just lead a boring life?!), I'm back to try this again. Yesterday, my mom, mother-in-law and I went blueberry picking. It brought back memories of trips to a blueberry patch in Pennsylvania with my grandmother as a kid. After two hours in the hot sun, I only managed to pick 3 pounds of berries (and I only ate one single berry in the process!), but that was enough to freeze a quart and have some left for cereal and Blueberry Boy Bait. My mom used to make this coffee-cake type recipe when I was a kid as well, and she brought along the recipe so I could make it after we were done picking berries. It's super easy:

Blueberry Boy Bait

2 tsp baking powder
2 c flour
1 tsp salt
2/3 c shortening
1 1/2 c sugar

Mix ingredients together and set 1/2 cup aside. Add 2 eggs to 1 cup milk and 1 tsp vanilla. Mix well and add to flour mixture. Pour into a well-greased 9x13 pan and sprinkle 1 to 2 cups fresh blueberries on top. You can push the blueberries down into the batter if you want. Sprinkle crumbly mixture on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 mins or until toothpick comes out clean. You can also use other berries or peaches instead of blueberries if you prefer. The recipe states that wheat germ or bran can be added for more nutrients, but it used to drive me crazy when my mom did that when I was a kid! She tried to sneak it into everything!



I've now had three helpings of this treat and need to burn off some calories prepping the family room for new paint. I sense another blog entry in the making...

No comments:

Post a Comment