Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine's Lion

After two serious posts, I thought it was time to lighten the mood around here a bit. I could use some light-hearted fun right about now. After learning to sew stuffed animals, I wanted to make one for my cousin's little girl, Julie. With Valentine's Day around the corner, it was the perfect opportunity. Lions are my favorite to sew because of all the fun fabrics around their manes. I used polar fleece and corduroy on the back of the mane to add texture.



I hope Julie likes it! I've actually never met her, but I've heard all about her from my dad and have become acquainted with her mom, Annie (my cousin's wife), on Facebook. Julie just turned 2 in January. After difficulties during her birth, she was born severely visually impaired and with cerebral palsy. She can "see" shadows from black and white patterns, so I'm hoping she'll like the lion. Recently, Julie's story was published on a blog that advocates for children with disabilities. You can read her story here. Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment