Friday, October 8, 2010

Seven Questions

One thing I love about blogging is how everyone feels like one big family. People let you into their lives while you let them see a little (or a lot) about yours and soon you've made new friends. For me, one of those friends is Callie, from Through Clouded Glass. I came across her blog while following the blog of a friend from college. Right when I needed it, God showed me her story, how she went through exactly what I've gone through this summer with my health. She gave me such hope talking about how God granted her the desires of her heart and now she's expecting her first child. God is so faithful. Callie recently tagged me in a question-and-answer chain, so I thought I'd let you in on a little more about me. You're supposed to then tag seven friends to answer the questions, too, but seeing as I only have four "official" blog followers, I don't think I'll be able to keep up that end of the bargain. Here we go:

1. What do you like best about your current profession (stay-at-home mom or student both count as professions to me)?
I work in an office with 12 other people. You'd think that the odds of us all getting along and being friends would be soooo small, but really, we have a great time together. It's rare to be able to talk about faith in God in a workplace, but we do all the time. I don't think I could work with a better group of people.

2. What is your favorite color and why?
My favorite color is blue. I love most shades of blue and blue-green ranging from aqua to teal to periwinkle. I guess they just make me happy!

3. How did you come to know the Lord?
I grew up being taught that you had to be baptized to be saved. Now I know that it just takes faith and repenting of sin and asking the Lord to come into your heart (in a nutshell), but as a child, my belief terrified me. I was so shy and couldn't bear the thought of being in front of our church and being water baptized. So, I went to bed every night for about three years thinking that I was going to go to hell because I wouldn't get baptized. At the beginning of eighth grade, my Bible teacher taught us the steps of salvation and we went through them every day at the start of class. Then one day, our teacher asked us to bow our heads and close our eyes. He asked how many of us had asked Jesus to be the Lord of our lives and then if anyone wanted to receive salvation. I raised my hand, scared and nervous, and prayed along with him in class that day. Over the next year and a half, I processed through what I had been taught in church versus what I'd been taught in my Christian school. I decided that my upbringing wasn't all correct. My experiences at school really helped shape me into who I am today since I had a lot of encouragement from teachers and some of my peers.

4. What was your favorite family tradition growing up?
This question had me stumped for a while. I don't think we had a lot of traditions when I was growing up. I'm glad that we always ate dinner together as a family, and not while we were parked in front of the tv. We did that sometimes, too, but it was a rarity. In today's society, everyone is so busy, kids are involved in a million extracurricular activities and families don't spend as much time together. I never want to take family for granted and I want to connect with my kids and my husband regularly so that we know what's going on with each other and can provide support for one another in the good times and the hard times.

5. What is your favorite girl movie (always looking for a good chick flick!)?
I've always loved Little Women with Susan Sarandon, Winona Ryder, Clare Danes, Christian Bale, and Kirsten Dunst. We had it on VHS and I always watched it when I was home sick from school. It's such a classic. I have two older sisters, but we didn't grow up together. I wonder what it would have been like to grow up together and go on adventures.

6. What is one book that you would say is a "must-read"?
The first book that comes to mind is Francine Rivers' "Redeeming Love". It's just the purest love story I've ever read. I love how the author made the story of Hosea come to life in a riveting way. It's rare that I want to read a book or watch a movie more than once, but I think I've read this book three times. As far as non-fiction, a friend loaned me "Created to be His Helpmeet" by Debbi Pearl and it taught me sooo much. At first, I thought Mrs. Pearl was a bit crazy for her ideas about the role of a wife, but as I kept reading, I saw where she was coming from and wanted to be a better helper to my husband. This is definitely a must-read for wives or soon-to-be wives!

7. What is one thing that you would like to do for or with your future children?
These questions are hard! As far as something I would like to do for my future children, I want to show them that love can last a lifetime and be an example of what God intends marriage to be. I want to show them Christ's love and teach them scriptures that they will remember throughout their lives that "they might not sin against God". I also dream about traveling with my children and giving them many many opportunities to learn about history, science and other cultures first hand. I'd love to take a trip across the US and Canada to see the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, the Canadian Rockies and so much more. Hopefully we'll be homeschooling, so our schedule could potentially be flexible enough to accommodate such an adventure (we'll see if finances are as flexible!).

If you've stuck with me til the end of this post, bless you! :) That's a little look into my life!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Thanks for playing along. :-) I enjoyed reading your answers! I want to home school my kids too - it's nice to know there are other girls who have the same goals. :-)

    And it always touches my heart that my story could encourage you - it makes the whole thing worth it to me. :-) The Lord always knows what He's doing.

    ReplyDelete