Friday, May 7, 2010

The Woes of Weeding

My best friend's mother is a Master gardener. Since I was a child, I have loved her flower gardens and have hoped that one day my yard would somewhat resemble hers. As a child, I remember being at my friend's house when her mother asked her to weed the flower beds. She only had to do this chore for twenty minutes, but those twenty minutes seemed an eternity to my seven or eight-year old mind. In true rotten-child fashion, I wrinkled my nose and declared by disgust in having to wait to play while this loathsome chore was completed. I don't remember if I actually helped with the weeding, but soon the weeds were pulled and we were back to our playing.

Sometimes our lives get cluttered with weeds. We may know that they are there and choose to ignore them until they become an eyesore. We fail to recognize that by taking the time to deal with the weeds before they're out of control we could avoid a painful mess. Maybe it's embarrassing to admit fault or acknowledge those dreaded words: "I was wrong", but once the chore is completed, there is more room for the good stuff to grow. We grow more humble and our character is strengthened.

I'm planning on pulling some weeds in my garden in the backyard this weekend and while I'm at it, I'll be thinking about what personal weeds need to come out of the soil of my heart as well.

2 comments:

  1. I want to be a Master Gardener! The extension office isn't offering the classes this year (due to lack of interest! imagine!) but will next year. I can't wait.

    I hate weeds. I mean, the garden ones aren't so bad... I hate the real life ones. Sometimes their roots go so deep that it hurts to pull them out. Yuck.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What qualifications do you have to have to be considered a "Master Gardener"? As you know, my knowledge of gardening is extremely limited! I'd need gardening classes for a few years!!! I wanted to go to the tour of gardens tomorrow, but I thought I was going to be out of town. Now my plans have changed, but there is still too much going on.

    Yes, the real life weeds stink. Thank goodness God is patient as He deals with us!

    ReplyDelete