Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Strawberry Picking

Last week, Natalie and I went strawberry picking with my mom. Natalie had just finished an extraordinary two hour nap, so I thought she'd be in a good mood to sit in her car seat in the grass, but she wanted to be a part of the action, so I held her and tried to pick berries, but that was very slow going. The short picking season was pretty much over, but we thought we'd try our luck and see what was left. With all the wet weather we've had recently, lots of the berries were moldy and rotting, but my mom and I managed to pick about 3 quarts worth of good berries and the generous owner of the strawberry patch gave them to us for free! I made freezer jam for the first time, and then we had homemade bread to go with it. Yum! There's nothing like homemade food.


It took until I was married to enjoy cooking and baking. My mom always cooked when I was growing up, but I resisted her attempts to teach me. Chalk it up to stubbornness and just not loving all the food she made. I hope that Natalie has the desire to help me in the kitchen and learn how to prepare a variety of foods while she's growing up. I'd say we could make a lot of special memories over a pot of homemade spaghetti sauce or a bowl full of chocolate chip cookie dough.

1 comment: